03-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I compared them because in my opinion, the selling points of a 6 series are on par with that of a convertible M3. The only reason I used the M3 as an example is the fact that and M3 and the new 6 have similar horsepower.

Either way you did not answer my question at all. In fact, I did not focus on what I would want to buy either. I was focusing on the similarities in the selling points of a convertible, 400 horsepower, luxurious BMW. Except one is 25-30k more. In regards to the size, I find it difficult to believe that many 6 series owners would justify the 25-30k for the occasional rear seat passenger(s).

I guess what I am trying to say is I would like to hear from someone who is considering purchasing the new 6 and why the 6 series would suit their desires/needs over a vert 335i/is/m3 and 25-30k in cash. I am very open to the answer but if someone had more of a response than "because I want to" I would find it helpful to what I am inquiring about. Thank you.

You are lost man! The 3 and 6 are very different cars....and FYI, the current (E63/E64) 6 series backseat is not at all better then the 3 series...in fact, it might be a bit tighter. And I'm saying this because I now have an E63 M6, and previously to this car, I owned an E93 M3 and my friends complained less about the lack of legroom in the back of the M3 then they do in my M6.

Now that we got that out of the way....do you really think the M3 offers even remotely the same luxuries as a 6 series? ESPECIALLY the NEW F12/F13 6 series? You can't even get a full leather dash/interior in the M3. Now, nevermind the leather...have you seen the interior of the new 6? Its not even in the same league as the M3. Obviously its a newer model, therefore its going to look better, but asides from looking better because its new, it has a much, much, much more luxurious appeal.

The demographic is entirely different, I spoke with a BMW insider a couple months ago while everyone was speculating whether the new F13 6 series would be a hardtop or softop. He told me from the very beginning, it will be a soft top because of the demographic of the vehicle. Most of the people who buy the car will prefer the soft top, it is a classier look (which can't be argued IMO, look at all the super high end convertibles..Bentley GT & Rolls Royce Drophead). They are all soft top convertibles...while a hardtop option would have been nice for sure, it just wasn't feasible at the time I believe.

Anyways, point is, the 6 series caters to an entirely different client, the client which will be glad to spend 20-30k extra to have the fine luxuries that this car will offer, and also to not be driving around in what at the end of the day, is a 3 series.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0