05-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
It just shows how much of an engine the B58 is that its getting stuffed into a Supra
I bought the 340 for its heart.. the B58 .. the other engines were just good
the B58 doesnt just output HP.. it outputs smiles
the power the sound.. cant blame them for stuffin it in a Supra
The problem is that the B58 has proven nearly impossible for aftermarket tuners to crack the code on, yet the Supra is purportedly being developed with the aftermarket squarely in mind on Toyota's side.

This is a huge problem. How can you sell a car that's supposedly aftermarket friendly with an engine that can't be chipped/piggybacked either easily or (relatively) effectively?

My thought is that Toyota may use its own proprietary software on the powerplant, which it will make far more tune-friendly than BMW's version -- in fact, I'm willing to bet that this, along with potential hybridization, could be the primary reason for the launch delay ...

... and if the B58 (or even the B48) is used, that will likely be a guiding force behind the Supra's marketing when the car is eventually released, without any blatant mention of its BMW brother(s).

Last edited by Viffermike; 05-22-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0