m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Fair enough, but I'm someone who drove an E63 M6 with SMG and walked away unimpressed. The E60 M5 remains to this day one of the most shockingly fun cars I have ever driven, but the M6 didn't impress me the same way especially since the convertible was so much heavier. For me, the new car looks infinitely better (I like the presence and overall style of the old one, but almost all of the styling details strike me as ugly. The new one is a grand slam in my book) and it has way more punch in the midrange so while BMW may have lost your sale, they have gained mine. In theory, anyways, I'm not going to be in the market.
yes, many people who merely test drove an SMG and did not understand how it works have noted similar feelings, however, I can say with 100% certainty that if you enjoy shifting manually and having serious power under your control, you will love SMG. I would not choose any other transmission over it if it was up to me. But no point in going down that road, the tech has changed, and now there is the refinement that DCT has brought, and that is that. Its not at all as engaging as SMG, but since BMW has already given up to the edginess for the refinement, the DCT fits the new motto much better. Its unfortunate that you are using the cabrio as your benchmark though as that is not the car to test to get the full effect of the M6. It was an overweight from the beginning, nearly 400lbs or more than my coupe, which is significant and completely changes the cars dynamics.

Looks are ofcourse subjective, and unfortunately in my eyes this new car does not look engaging, and Im completely unimpressed with the direction its taken in this model as its move even further from its roots in the e24 to now a car thats so big and unrecongnizable.

So in reality, while many on this thread comment how much they love the looks, Im not sure if any of those that have commented are actually in the market for this type of car, but I am actually in the market right now and had been awaiting this redesign to make a decision on what comes next, and unfortunately for bmw and m, it will not be an M5 nor an M6, so bmw has lost my real sale, but have not picked up your imaginary one, and that is not a good business proposition for them.
Appreciate 0