View Single Post
      04-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
AVB-AMG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Garage List
Placed order for 2014 M6 Coupe (Alpine White & Sakhir Orange Full Merino Leather

Hello everyone.

I am a new member of Bimmerpost. I live in northern NJ and have been trying to decide between selecting either a 2014 M6 Coupe or a 2014 650 xDrive Coupe to serve as my next daily driver. The practical and cost saving choice is clearly the 650 xDrive Coupe, but once you test drive the M6 like I did, it really does put you in a different dimension and state of mind, as well as a silly grin on my face.

I spend about 2 ˝ hours a day, M-F in my car commuting so I want to have a nice car and interior environment to enjoy during this time on the road. Either vehicle would fulfill that requirement, but I do prefer the subtle body modifications of the M6, especially the rear end treatment, compared to the 650 Coupe with the M Sport Package. The black diffuser on the lower bumper area around the exhaust pipes, (on models with the M-Package), is not attractive or appealing to me aesthetic tastes and I understand why some owners have gone to the effort to have his 650 Coupe's rear diffuser painted to match the body color, (which is a major improvement). Both vehicles have excellent performance and are very quick in 0-60 mph. But the sound, g-force and pure exhilaration fun of driving the M6 is a real game changer for me. Ultimately, the powerful engine in the M6 and its glorious exhaust burble sound is music to my ears and convinced me to go that route...

Luckily, I have a 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG that has served wonderfully as our weekend and long road trip / vacation vehicle. It has all-wheel drive and I put winter snow tires (Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 295/40R 20 XL's ) on in early Dec. and have them swapped with my summer performance tires at the end of March. Therefore, I can use this vehicle when snow is forecasted or on the roads, leaving the BMW at home. For extra "insurance" I will most likely also purchase a set of 4 Winter/Snow tires for the M6 for the same 4-month winter season as on the ML63.

So at the end of March, I pulled the trigger and placed an order for a 2014 BMW M6 Coupe with the following specs and options:

• Alpine White Paint
• Sakhir Orange Full Merino Leather
• Executive Package
• Driver Assistance Package
• Bang & Olufsen Sound System
• 20" M light alloy wheels

The only differences between the 2013 and 2014 models, is a slight base price increase to the 2014's and adding ventilated seats to the Executive Package and reducing its total price. Also, the 2014's will have the upgraded iDrive and possibly an enhanced internet connection through BMW Assist; (this last one is not really clear to me yet....)

I will be leasing this vehicle for 36 months at 15,000 miles per year through BMW Financial Services. At the time I placed my order the only BMWUSA provided financial incentives available for this vehicle was the $750 BMW Owner's Loyalty Cash. Like a number of posters in this forum, over the past 5 months I did my research. I visited multiple BMW Dealers in our region, test drove both vehicles, checked out M6's and 650's with various paint/leather color schemes and have read many interesting posts on various threads on Bimmerpost and Bimmerfest. I was able to get a good and fair, (win/win) deal with a local BMW Dealer agreeing to an approx. $1,000 over the invoice cost of the vehicle. All in all, it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience for an auto enthusiast like me….........

As most NJ drivers are aware, the conditions of our highways are improving but still not in as good condition as those in southern climates that are not exposed to de-icing road salts spread by most municipal DPW's trucks. Our secondary roads are fair at best with horrific pot holes and ruts appearing about this time of year that can be bone jarring and wheel denting experiences. With this in mind, I will also purchase a Wheel and Tire Protection Program (insurance) for this vehicle for peace of mind when a road hazard causes damage.

Finally, from my reading about the experiences of others in this and other BMW forums, I have signed up to take a one-day BMW Performance Driving School followed the next day with a 1-day M-School, both down in Spartanburg, SC. On the third day I will then take delivery of my new M6 at the BMW Performance Delivery Center. I figure I will certainly enjoy learning firsthand about this vehicle's capacities on a track after having some knowledgeable instruction, using someone else's M6 , tires and gas. This will be followed by a leisurely (yeah right…........ ), drive back to NJ through the Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia and PA, avoiding the monotony of I-95.

Once I have the vehicle I will post some photos here. Until then, I also want to say that I appreciate reading all of your posts on various questions, traits and nuances regarding the M6. They have been most informative as well as entertaining…........ I hope to add my "voice" to your ongoing conversations in Bimmerpost. Cheers!