View Single Post
      10-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

As with any plain gloss finish, lighter colours will show scratches less then darker ones. When kept clean the white gloss will mask scratches far better then gloss black. Obviously when dirts in the scratch it will show on either colour.

You'll find this is the case on virtually any gloss/high gloss product. For example if you've ever bought a corian work top, they explicitly advise against any gloss finish on the darker colours.

The m sport silver trim I assume is the hexagon aluminium trim? It is much better then standard aluminium trims you may have encountered previously and doesn't have the plasticky look some cheaper aluminium trims exhibit (even if they are actually aluminium). It won't scratch as easily as gloss lacquer finishes, but once it does you will see the scratches.

The only wood trim I liked was American Oak (looked contemporary to my eye). It goes well with my ivory white interior offering a nice contrast. It also has the advantage the wood grain distracts the eye from scratches. So while it scratches as easily as the piano black and white, they aren't as obvious from a casual glance. But it's a darker finish, so a lighter wood finish May set a black interior off better (I just don't like any of the others unfortunately, but that's just personal taste).

In the uk, hexagon aluminium trim is either standard or cheap with MSport, therefore it's extremely prevalent. Therefore I'd probably stick with the white (and perhaps ask the dealer to keep the option open to change it later), or find a wood trim. Of course hexagon trim maybe rarer where you are.

Oh and congratulations on the car, you'll love it, inside and out it really is beautiful and gives you that special feeling every time you jump in it. Exterior may be subjective, but it's hands down the best interior of any of the premium marques in standard form.

Last edited by Mentos; 10-30-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0