View Single Post
      08-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #277
Addleduit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
So, exactly one month later I get the same error and scary as #*%$ trembling feeling throughout the car.

I got out of the car for about 25 minutes around lunchtime today, put it in reverse, rolled back about 3 feet, then all hell broke loose. I got a ding, an engine light, a "drivetrain malfunction" iDrive message, the car switched to neutral, and started vibrating and making a shaky noise. I couldn't change to drive or reverse, so I finally got it in park and killed the engine. I waited a few seconds, restarted it, and it started normally and did fine. I was going to go straight to the dealer, but I called and couldn't get a loaner right away. I had to be back at work in 30 minutes, so I decided to hold off. I'm planning on taking it in tomorrow to see what they say.

The same exact thing happened on January 16th. They attributed it to low power steering fluid, reset the system, and topped it off. No idea if that's what's going on here or if that was a coincidental finding.

This is really getting frustrating. In the last month I've had to bring my car in 3 times with problems! I haven't gotten stranded or anything horrible, so I'm not too irate, but this is getting ridiculous...
My wife is having the same problem. My wife has a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Sport that has just turned 36,000 miles and is now out of factory warranty. On at least a half dozen occasions (before the expiration of the warranty) she complained to the service rep at the dealership that on several occasions her whole car would begin to vibrate. When she would turn the car off and then back on again, the vibrations would stop. In relating this information to the service representatives at the BMW dealership, she would be told that since they were unable to replicate the problem they couldn't diagnose its cause. About a month ago I was driving my wife's car at a steady 45mph when all of a sudden it felt like I was driving the car down a washboard. The car was shacking so bad I had to get off the road. This time a warning came up on the screen that read "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I turned the car off and immediately restarted it, the problem was gone. Once again my wife took her car to the dealership. Since the car was now out of warranty they charged by wife $150.00 for a computer diagnosis which revealed a "coil problem on cyl#8". They said they replaced the coil on cyl #8 and charged my wife $523.00 for the repairs.

Last weekend we took a trip to Destin. Were driving west on interstate 10 with the cruise set at 79mph when all of a sudden the entire car began to vibrate violently, forcing me to immediately pull off the highway. Once again we got the warning "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I restarted the car the problem appeared to be gone. But now I noticed that when going up an incline the car had a slight vibration that would increase or decrease with acceleration.

Once again my wife took her car to the dealership and explained the problem. Again they did a computer diagnosis of the problem. This time they said the problem was caused cylinders #3 and #6. At a cost of more than $1,200 the dealership suggested that she replace ALL of coils and ALL of the sparkplugs.

In doing research on this website, I learned that this problem with cylinders #3 and #6 misfiring is "inherent in the BMW 650i" particularly on "long trips". By searching this web site I have learned; 1.) This problem is inherent with 6 series BMW's. 2.) BMW is aware of the problem. 3.) BMW does not know how to fix the problem.

Last edited by Addleduit; 08-22-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0