View Single Post
      07-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I am sorry but the z8 is about a 1/3rd the size and is a small roadster. More like comparable to the slk AMG if you want to compare. This is the closest comparison they have. The 6 series is their coupe. Who cares if it has 2 backseats, that does not account for 400 pounds!! Seats maybe 40 pounds if that.

Like someone said the merc has a hard top for gods sakes to boot. Just not acceptable. I thought I would always be a bmw guy-Loved the pure performance they used to offer but I have to say sometimes it takes them getting bitch slapped back to reality for them to regain some of their original passion and get back on track
The Z8 has a length of 4400mm, the previous generation SL about 4500mm and the SLK 4000mm. The Z8 was a clear competitor to the SL, specs, engine, premium feel, price, etc. The SLK competes with the Z4.

The 6-series is heavier compared to the SL because it is simply bigger. Size-wise it is like comparing a 5 series to a 3 series (4600mm to 4900mm length). The 6er is not only bigger though, it has a different purpose altogether. It is a big GT while the SL is roadster. It's like comparing a 3-series convertible to a Mazda MX-5.

The closest thing to SL was the Lexus SC imo. Not quite as good obviously but similar philosophy.

I agree though, currently the 6er convertible is the closest thing BMW has to SL but they are still very different cars.
Appreciate 0