View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah View Post
I think you're getting a little emotional. It was not a strong or angry response I simply responded to your comment. If you meant it as some form of humor a smiley face would help denote that since no one on the Internet can see your face or hear your voice in order to detect your intentions.
Whether you meant it as figurative or literal you used the same scenario in both of your post, 640d vs M6. Whats the pain of aquiring and running a M6 over a 640d, cash, gas mileage ? If you cant afford it dont buy just that simple. I don't consider a 640d the ultimate 6 but i guess you do and thats fine. I consider the M6 the ultimate 6 and that is the reason the M6 is offered. Your definition of ultimate is different from the next mans definition of ultimate. To me there's no comparison and my initial comment to you still stands. All of these "super" GT cars have variable model trim levels, why would BMW not. Mercedes has the CL550, CL63 & CL65. Bentley has the GT v12, v8,(and convertibles of each) & soon the "Speed" and both have variations within them similar to BMWs M performance.
With that being said, I still don't understand your point figuratively or literally.
Firstly yes, I am guilty what I've been accusing others of - I perhaps have been taking all this a bit too seriously but do indulge me for a moment. This is a motoring forum after all, so let's have some clean and wholesome literary bloodsports!

Well how many M6 owners will take their cars to the track? I bet fewer than the digits on your hands. Yes I know other makes also offer similar choices, that does not make them necessarily right. And from every review I've read the Bentley V8 is better than the V12!

My case about the new 6 is this - by BMW's own admission the 5-series was targeted towards people in their mid-40s to 50s - this is fact. So where does that leave the 6? In normal guise it is arguably a much bigger and bulkier looking car than its predecessor - which looks as compact as a 911 compared to the new one - you simply cannot get away from this. So I would guess that officially or not, the 6 is targeted toward an even older audience. Elegant it may be, sporty it is patently not. And I have to repeat, that weight, the new 5 and 6 are unforgivably heavy cars, although they both excel.

If I wanted an M-car with space I'd wait for the new M4 (if that's what they'll call the replacement for the 2-door M3), or the 4-door M3. And either model will likely have more interior space than the 6!

I'm not knocking the M6, mind, but I am playing devil's advocate. Yes there may be people who want and will pay for such a car, but I have to beg the question, why?

We all have different tastes, and I stand by my opinion that the ultimate 6 for now is a 640d, be it in Coupe, Cabrio or Gran Coupe guise.
Appreciate 0