06-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #29
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by S800vxr View Post
All the positive responses are interesting and I say that as when I had my 6 remapped there was a guy there who did all the custom turbo builds for them (separate company) and he was adamant that going catless was a bad idea as the car would overspool top end and cut out/damage the engine, and that low down the lack of back pressure would cause a drop in low down torque..... I'm an engineer by background and that didn't make to much sense to me but he seemed to know his turbos and was quite clear...?
I am afraid he was right ( I am a retired Engineer) None turbo-ed engines do get a boost (slight) from straight through none restrictive , however turbo engines do suffer slightly, the extra sound very often "masks it", and very top-end "Could" damage turbos but that's not a given, really depends on cooling and oil supply.
Not knowing BMW tech I can't say for sure, BUT they have introduced a mod to the feeder pipes.
EDIT: I should have added with a re-map + catless additional boost will also cover the bottom end.

I got 10/15 extra Ft/Pounds at the bottom from my B7 RS4 with catless DP and STD Exhaust valves wired open.