View Single Post
      01-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

One off heated wheel retrofit done...

Finished this mod just before christmas, so thought I should post it....

I bought my F06 M6GC 12 months ago and when the cold weather came I was peed off I forgot to order the heated steering wheel option (ok, a small problem, but it still got under my skin).

So I though - could be a project? Retrofit the optional heated wheel maybe? I wanted to get the BMW Performance full alcantara wheel, but that isn't available heated - and it costs a shed load of money.

1... I bought a standard M6 heated wheel and had it retrimmed by an expert UK trimmer (royalsteeringwheels.com) in the exact same shade of black alcantara and blue leather stripe as used by BMW suppliers, same tri-colour stitching (maybe better quality too), so it looks as good as OE but is still 2/3 the price of BMWP wheel from BMW and it's heated!!

2... Bought the column switch for wheel heating, small loom and the wheel controller module

3... Also bought the BMWP carbon steering wheel trim

4... Also bought extended paddles in matt black from Autotecknic (while i'm at it...)

5... Fitted it all - easy!

Well, not so easy, my car didn't have lane departure so there is no power supply to the wheel for the "vibrator" which is the same supply for heating.

I had to do a lot of research on the wiring and circuitry and make up a extra lead (pins not present in switch cluster) all using BMW parts though.

6... Code the car for the new option: Add option 248 to the VO. Indicator switch cluster is a codable module "SZL" and it handles the heating commands.

7... Hey presto! cosy warm hands and a unique heated alcantara wheel!!
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 01-11-2017 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
JakeBMW11.50
JLR19691882.00