06-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Alright alright. I appreciate the explanation man haha
I'm young and new to the world of cars, so any new knowledge is appreciated. I assume the same principles apply to the Mercedes MCT, as well.

So would you just not recommend driving with the transmission in comfort mode because of the extra strain it causes? Would these performance cars be suited to more aggressive driving than, say, a normal 528i would be? (Simultaneously, they would be less-suited to smooth, daily-driving than the 528i)

I'm just saying don't drive in gears 3-7 at RPMs below 2k.

And yes, the transmission and motor is designed to be driven more aggressively. This was the case with my M3 6MT. It hated anything below 2k rpm or anything in 2nd gear below 3k.

Driving a 6MT gives you instant feedback on what the mechanicals are doing in the car at any gearing and engine speed. When you have a DCT, it goes away, but if you have a keen hearing, you'll still hear the same thing.

The MCT is a completely different design from torque converters or DCTs.

Read it here...https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...ms-112461.html

Looks like they try to mimic an auto in low gear low speeds without a converter. The concept is great. Not sure about drivetrain strain in these situations as they purposely designed the unit with smooth low speed operations in mind.