View Single Post
      01-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
One other thing to note is that you shouldn't really connect your CTEK charging cable ground ring to the battery itself. The battery has the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) in that black module on the negative terminal. If you connect the charging ground directly to the battery then the IBS won't know when you're charging the battery with the charger as you've bypassed it, so it won't factor that into its calculations on battery state, health, and life. If you move the ring terminal to the chassis somewhere then you'll be fine, as the charging current will have to pass through the chassis ground lead, the IBS, and into the battery.

This is why BMW recommend to charge through the engine bay jump start points.

The positive connection point is fine, as the IBS is only on the negative terminal.
This is what I been doing connecting under the hood on the positive and negative posts never have a problem.I also read awhile ago to just stick with the factory battery ,If I get 3 to 4 years out of it I will just swap it with a new one just as a maintenance factor and piece of mind
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0