View Single Post
      04-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #13
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Thats only a 3.8L V8, I would imagine that it really needs the 8500rpm redline to have it make the power it does. It also doesn't have the fancy twin scroll cross bank technology of the S63Tu.
Well you have good points. That 3.8 liter V8 generates 616 HP (exactly what S63TU generates based on Dinan measurement) and I redlined the engine several times to make sure the maximum power is delivered; however I believe that maximum power must be available in lower RPM (7k and up?) too... It doesn't have that fancy scroll twin technology you referred and that's why I felt "turbo lag" while in sport+ mode I don't feel it in my M6.

Quote:
I had been thinking for a while that the next 6 series could change a bit. A few people think that the 6 series is the top of the range from BMW as far as a drivers car goes. The new 7 will of course be a bit lighter and will 'fix' that to some degree, but the various concepts of a massive sedan from BMW makes me wonder if there might be an 8 series again with 4 doors that is more 7 series based but with sporty intentions and is there to compete with the Bentley Flying Spur and similar. That could let the 6 series coupe be a bit smaller and more radical.
I don't consider 7 series a sport car unless they come up with new models like M770 or M7 or something like that. I believe BMW introduced the current 6er as a sport car and 6GC as sport 4 door car since even 5er (except M5) is not sport car either. As far as 8 series, hopefully it's not another big sedan car. Maybe it's the non electrical version of i8 and the base platform of M8??!!!

Quote:
All current high end BMW's have about 52% weight on the front which isn't ideal with the power they are putting out. If they had free range with the next M6 I wonder if a transaxle could change that around to have more weight on the rear and be close in weight distribution to the 612 Scaglietti, while having much more power.
That's exactly what I'm thinking about. The new AMG GTS has the same configuration (transaxle) and has achieved 47/53 weight distribution. I have a feeling that this configuration beside the M active differential and a more efficient software can help a lot to manage the same power/torque S63tu generates to make a smaller and lighter M6 for next generation and still RWD. Even if they shave some spaces from back seat area (which is useless anyways) and make the car smaller, it helps to move the center of gravity a little toward the back of new platform...
To be honest with you the only issue I see in M6 is traction because of front weight bias. If it was a little rear weight bias, it would be a real rocket from standstill... It's interesting that even with current weight distribution, M6 GC (which is heavier than M6 Coupe) can beat the powerful E63 AMG S model RWD with a lot more torque and less weight from standstill...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0