02-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Thank you for the responses guys.

BMW does get a bit fancy with their nomenclature.

Every time I'm about to get a new car, I have to do more homework. Just realizing now that from the sport button on an 09 X5, which very likely was adaptive drive, to a rocker switch by the gear selector on my wife's '12 GT (no clue if its just VDC), to the EDC on my '11 M3.......there's every acronym in the book. Somehow my '08 335 coupe 6MT with all bells and whistles didn't have any such thing. Rode on coilovers better than it ever did on standard suspension and run flats.

Anyhow, back to the topic;

The concern is that the option on the configurator isn't listed at all to choose for the 640. I'll be doing the test drives tomorrow. the 640 has M sport, so I'd assume if they ordered it, they'd add adaptive to it, hopefully.

I'm already concerned that only the upcoming M6 GC might feel anywhere close to the liveliness of the e92 M3. Not in love with new M5, hence not considering it. No time to wait for 1+ yr on new M3/M4

Another concern is the 8AT gearbox. Will it be clearly soft/plush vs, MDC-T. I drive 90% in full manual/paddle mode.

I realize my concerns won't be answered till i drive them. So pardon the rant.

Back to the rocker switch beside the shifter, I noticed in in most new BMWs. Is that just VDC? in our GT, once in sport or sport +, the gears hold longer, car feels awakened, but it won't get to 8th gear, and generally doesn't suit the character of the car. Love cruising with the family in that car, don't like hustling it around.

Again thank you for your input and responses.
If you're talking about the sport/comfort rocker switch, that is there regardless of the car having any of the Adaptive suspension components (atleast on the current BMW range).

By default it switches the throttle/gearbox mapping/steering (unless its hydrolic) settings to a more aggressive/softer mode. IE put it in sport and throttle is sharper, gearbox holds gears longer, steering tightens up. It may also effect the engine, as it tends to rev higher and economy drops, but this could just be down to the gearbox holding the lower gear longer. In sport+ it will also retard the DSC.

I believe on the new LCD instrument cluster it will also change its appearance (colour and display information which is more relevant in that setting more prominently. For example in ECO it may display current fuel economy etc more prominently).

If you have adaptive suspension components the rocker will also control these. Tightening things up in sport, making it softer in comfort. However, remember the suspension is adaptive, so it doesn't make it rock hard all the time. It just changes the transition points. So for example if you're tootling along in sport it will still give you a pliant ride. But head into a corner and things will tighten up much sooner. Whereas in comfort it won't leave you with a barge through the whole corner, it will still tighten the suspension settings at some point, just a lot later then in sport mode. I hope i haven't confused you. To give you an analogy its the difference between an easy going woman and one with a temper. Both will bite your head off if you push hard enough, just one will be more eager to switch

Also in each mode you can adjust what changes. So in sport you can leave the suspension in comfort.
Appreciate 0