View Single Post
      05-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

There were a few discussions in other threads about the difference between regular 650i and M sport in terms of exhaust note. The general consensus that the M sport exhaust sounds louder and has a distictive note. There's an auto magazine that test drove the M Sport version and went as far as saying that the M Sport Package is mandatory rather for the sport exhaust system. Here's a quote from the article:

"If you are lucky enough to have the coin the Coupe commands, the M Sport Package is mandatory. It’s not so much the body kit and upsized wheel/tire package, nor is it the LED fog lights (all of which add much more machismo to the look), but, rather, it’s the sport exhaust system that adds the defining touch — an angry snarl to an already intoxicating note. When driven slowly, the tonal quality reaches a burbling roar just as the transmission upshifts. Stand on the gas and the basso profundo spurs the driver onward as a silly grin grows in proportion to the music the exhaust elicits. A buddy of mine was so enraptured by the sound, it’s now his ring tone — and they call me Gear Head!"
http://www.driving.ca/Road+test+2012...363/story.html
Appreciate 0