06-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #89
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm absolutely shocked at these responses. Are the three of you really implying there is something wrong with being educated or getting an education?

Being educated isn't only about learning the skills that will eventually apply to your career. It builds character, gives us knowledge, enables us to discover things we don't know, gives us a different perspective on the world around us. It's helps us create a better society for us and the ones around us.
I am not implying that there is something wrong with being educated, you added that claim. What I am saying is that getting an education by means of going to college is absolutely not the correct option for everyone. Why are you shocked? Do you find it hard to believe that some people have developed a plan for their future success that does not involve college?

Make sure you're arguing the correct point. This thread is titled "College: Is it worth it?" not "Education: Is it worth it?" You can actually be an educated individual without college *gasp*

Quote:
Definitely. There is never anything wrong with getting an education.
Once again, there can be multiple things right and wrong with getting an education. For example, things that can go wrong are: one may study a major (massage therapy) at a college that does not yield them a career that is lucrative enough to pay back their student loans. This phenomenon is usually called "For-Profit Institutions". See below...

Quote:
Again: I said that *any* form of education is valuable.
Devry, Univ. of Phoenix, Kaplan Univ, UEI, UTI, ICDC, 4-D College, etc... I can keep going but there are a plethora of colleges where your statement crash and burns into false land. Paying $30k for an associates degree from these degree factories to have a 'professor' make you watch a video 90% of the semester is not exactly valuable in my eyes.
Appreciate 0