View Single Post
      06-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #69
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I just traded my i3 on a 2017 330e. Have owned and tracked Nissan GTR, Porsche Carrera S, two Ferraris , '65 Shelby GT350 and many other performance cars in my time. Loved everything about the i3 (and particularly it's stoplight grand prix performance) EXCEPT it's coal cart ride over my areas' pot-holed urban streets. I have an at-home level 2 charger and the only time I use gas power in the 330e is when I go over 50 MPH on the interstate. The 330e is also not restricted to a local car only, as the 66 mi range i3 was. Where I combined trips in my 911 to be sure that I fully warmed up the oil whenever I drove it, I feel no compunction about taking multiple short hops in the i3 or 330e. I think an all-electric 3 is a great idea. I suspect that the plug-in hybrid model of the new X3 is probably awaiting the new Samsung higher energy density cells (and that will tell us when the all-electric 3 is going to come). Having had a hybrid car, a plug-in hybrid electric car, and an all-electric car; I have formed a definite opinion. With two cars, one will be a plug-in all-rounder and the other will be all-electric for purely local use. It's unfortunate that BMW didn't have an all-electric with a decent ride over pot-holed roads when my three years with the i3 were up. I compromised with the current 330e plug-in. Next year, when the 528i lease is up, it'll be replaced with the 530e, unless the new X3 with the new higher density batteries is available and then the 330e will be replaced with the all-electric 3. Isn't it great that BMW makes so many different types of cars--something for each of us.
Appreciate 1