02-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
You have a beautiful car. I am glad you're happy. It sounds like you made the right decision with the M package. I must however, burst your bubble on the exhaust.

I know it's been a matter of debate, but I have confirmed with my contacts at BMW (I work for a supplier) that there is no difference in the exhaust (other than the tips) or the engine management software. If you don't believe it, ask your service guy for the engine software code number for 650i vs 650i with M sport package. No difference.

BMW would not pay to certify EC and US emission standards for two different EM systems just to change the sound of the exhaust. The difference some people sometimes hear is the VC exhaust flap opening and closing under different operating conditions. I hope this info doesn't start another long thread of discussion on this exhaust sound topic. I am sure the engineers at BMW would know - they designed it.
The part numbers for the Centre muffler and the rear silencer box are different for the M-Sport version

650i
Regular Centre section 18 30 7 616 456
M-Sport Centre section 18 30 7 629 377

Regular Rear box section left/right 18 30 7 605 455 / 456
M-Sport Rear box section left/right 18 30 7 629 137 / 138