View Single Post
      01-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_cat View Post
I am not judging the car by its 0-60 time. It's simply an example I provided to show that the E63 AMG will have more traction, thus giving it an advantage on the track. Check out the link I provided...
AWD may provide better traction, esp. from standstill, but AWD is not always superior vis-a-vis RWD on a track when it comes to performance.

There are so many factors that come into play when trying to squeeze the best possible performance out of a car, in terms of track times.

As with any system, AWD has advantages and disadvantages. The advantages you have already mentioned -- more traction, esp. from a standstill. The disadvantages are not as obvious. First, AWD are generally heavier than their RWD counterparts, which can negatively impact the balance of the car in terms of rear/front weight distribution. Second, AWD can result in understeer because the front wheels are still supplying power and trying to turn.

So, yes, there are advantages with AWD, but one cannot overlook the disadvantages.

While old, this is a pretty good and fair read of AWD v. RWD (and v. FWD). http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e/viewall.html
Appreciate 0