View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
RollTideBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Gran Coupe

I do not have a tamper dot illuminated. This is going to be a 50/50 daily for me. So I'll probably be keeping it at least another 5 years or so. By then I will be right at the 100k mark. At that point it's a matter of cost of repair vs savings during sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Do some homework and look for vendors or persons that have the knowledge on how to "virginize" an F-chassis instrument cluster. This apparently can be done because we read of owners with the basic cluster and 6WA clusters...finding used digital 6WB clusters and installing them succesfully.

A BMW dealership can do nothing with a used cluster...their software will not let them alter the mileage or write/code a used instrument cluster. Only people that have aftermarket software/hardware which allows them to zero the mileage and code the car's VIN to the used instrument cluster can get a used cluster to work properly.

BMW uses redundant data with the instrument cluster and other control modules...and they must have matching VINs written to them and will only share mileage etc if things match. When BMW does replace the cluster with a new one...the mileage is already zeroed...and they then write the VIN to the replacement cluster. So again, if you can find someone (other than a BMW dealership) that can zero-out your used cluster...you can then write/code your car's VIN to the module and it should then be able to communicate with the other control modules on the bus and begin sharing the mileage and service data.

BTW...if you don't already have an odometer tamper dot illuminated...you still may want to keep the mileage LOW. You don't want the car to accept the higher mileage because if it does...there's no going back to the lower mileage.
Appreciate 0