10-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #28
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
No problems and now into 3 weeks with my 650ix GC and must say I do like the looks of it..look back sometimes just to see the more graceful and aggressive lines and profile. Looks more like a sports car than my 550i. Drives better too and you don't feel the weight as much and dynamics versus my stock 550i. I think a lot has to do with the fact you sit lower in the 6 series and the dynamics seem a bit more sporty. However it does cruise just as well as my old 550i on the highway very easily. Also as I mentioned to my "better half" the other day...I have noted that I have NOT seen another 6series GC yet in three weeks of ownership outside the dealers lot. Maybe more if I head closer to Seattle but 45 miles away you don't see that many at all versus my 5 series which I'd see about 6-12 times a week. Sort of like that aspect of the car. Gets looks and questions/inquiries...the positive kind though..."nice car" and "is that really a BMW?" stuff like that.

One complaint though it the active cruise control or whatever it is....I need to REALLY read the manual cause I can't figure out how to use it properly or as I expect it to work. Would be ONE thing I'd leave off the car IF I designed/ordered it myself and could really pick and choose options. Tried it in stop an go traffic and it worked for a few miles and amazed me but then shut off...also let it once stay on while I took an off ramp JUST so see what the technology would do knowing that there was a light at the end of the off ramp. Well active cruise kept going or kept going for long enough that I wasn't comfortable letting it stop before the stopping traffic in front of me...so I braked on my own. To its credit/fault...not sure if it was designed to do what I was asking (i.e. must read the manual again) but I do think I am NOT ready to give up that much control of the driving experience just yet! LOL

Good luck with your test drive and let us know.
I have the ACC with Stop&Go on my current 5-series, and I agree it's a bit "iffy" at times. I've used it many times on the highway, but I'd not try it in any other circumstance. On the highway it'll work well if there are "reasonable" acceleration and deceleration events going on - but if people slam on their brakes or accelerate quickly in front of you, it becomes unpredictable. But I can say, under normal braking of cars in front on the highway, it WILL bring the car to a complete stop and then go again (if under 3 seconds of stop-time) on its own. What it won't do is emergency brake - I believe I read the system can only apply a subset of the car's full stopping power, so it's possible to get the collision warning system flashing at you while it's attempting to brake, and you WILL need to manually intervene to keep from becoming a permanent piece of the car in front of you.

The car I'll be test driving next week unfortunately doesn't have DHP as my 5 does - I'm a bit concerned it may impact my perception of the car as I truly didn't like the 550xi without DHP - it only had the "standard" suspension (no sport suspension even with M Sport on the xDrive 5's) - is this the same for the 6's?
Appreciate 0