Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
That's why they offer lease programs.. Keeps you in a new car every 3 years and you are paying lower payments than owning one outright. It works for me cause I don't want to buy cars, I want to lease them and give them back, either way you're spending the money so why not do it in a brand new model every time? A car should never be looked at as an investment.
Yes, that's a dilemma (finance vs lease)...I've owned 4 bimmers and sold them all after 2 years or so of driving, with only approx. 15%-20% price drop compared to a brand new one... plus the fact that I saved on taxes buying the next one (convenience trade through a dealer- I brought my own buyer and I get to only pay the difference on taxes on the new vehicle- that has always been another $5-6 k worth of saving)...
So finance has been good to me...can't imagine paying for something I don't own...but that's just me talking.
but I understand your point as well...it's nice to have a new one every 3 years...
I've done the same believe it or not through financing, but I had control over my asset and decision...I sell it when I want to and keep it when I want...I've kept them all less than 3 years and didn't have to worry about mileage limit, accidents, wear & tear, etc. and sold it extremely well, every time...BMW's are generally a car that don't sit too long in your driveway, if you want to sell...The key though is that you need to keep your car in a shipshape condition so the first buyer takes it without haggling...my cars have always been like that...
Appreciate 0