United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I do agree with you that M3/M4 are more nimble than M5/M6 and as you said they are designed for different purposes.
As a side note (since many people are referring to heavy weight and large size of M5/M6 compare to their predecessors) , the weight of these cars is exactly what it has to be. 10% more weight (compare to E6x) is the price of 20% more power and 50% more torque! Yes it's the law of physic...In order to handle 600+ HP and 550+ lb-ft torque of a front engine RWD car compare to 500 HP and 380 lb-ft torque you need to have a heavier car and this is exactly what is missing in F8x M3/M4. That much torque for that light car is a lot. You really cannot use the low end torque. I do not have F8x, but have read many threads and have test driven the car twice both in DSC ON and MDM. Indeed there is not much difference between DSC ON and MDM since DSC is always interfering because of that much torque while in M6 with more torque (as I mentioned before) and more weight, always I drive the car in MDM with no issue except the rainy days and I feel the difference between DSC ON and MDM. M5/M6 are not true track cars while M3/M4 are track cars and that's where you need that torque but as a DD car, I believe something between S55 and S65 is a perfect match for this chassis.
Agree....it depends on what the owner wants and is looking for mostly. Each car represents something different in hp/torque, looks, fitment both interior/exterior, and ride dynamics. M5 combines a bit more space and luxury and gives up some performance as the M6 adds more sport and luxury on the same chassis and both are great autobahn stormers able to handle great speed and luxury and even some track dynamics thrown at them when asked. But neither are built for it routinely or primarily...sort of like the X5M/X6M who you can take on a track and be amazed that it doesn't fling itself off in turns or just implode..but should they be dedicated track vehicles and driven in such a manner daily/routinely. I'd say not unless you own a BMW dealership or are great friends with your independent/service mgr oh and have your insurance paid up BOTH auto and life.

The M3/M4 are more comfortable on the track due to their dynamics and build as well as design. More nimble and now with the new versions more torque than probably the MDM can handle at times. Many folks do say that is the problem...traction with the car to some which folks are fixing with sway bars and other mods. Driving dynamics are improved and for once it looks like they didn't make the F8x hugely larger than its predecessors in an effort to remember that weight is the enemy mostly of performance. Yes you can add torque and hp and solve some of it with electronics but at a cost to the overall design at some point. So its nice that BMW did remember that with this design I think.

As their model line expands...waiting to see the M4 GC and X4M they soon will have a line/product that caters to each buyers particular needs. So going from a 4 to a 6 or 6 to a 5 or even an X or vice versa ultimately becomes a personal issue that combines buyers needs, driving habits/style, preferences, and oh yeah how much of their soul they want to sell to BMW (aka the old wallet transfer!)
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0