View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
Four zone automatic air conditioning seemed like overkill in the small 6GC cabin (relative to the 5GT I am running at the moment).

Love Piano Black but on my 5GT, it does show scratches quickly. Also in the 6GC, the American Oak did give it some lift. Bu will think about this as you say with the Vermillion Red leather.

Most of my music is on my iPhone/iPod and DAB/Internet Radio so the B&O upgrade was an overkill but thinking the Professional Speaker upgrade may be worth doing
IMO 4 zone Climate control is overkill in most cars. Even two zone is questionable when you consider the size of most cabins. If you set the temp more then a degree or two apart the two airflows will clearly compete, if the temp differential isn't significant then it somewhat defeats the purpose of individually controlled A/C anyway.

Wether the vehicles I'm in have 1, 2 or 4 zone climate control, I've noticed they all tend to be set at 20-21 deg C by occupants. I think the key point here is we're talking about climate control, not a non regulated heating cooling system. The goal with climate control is to reach an optimal temp and maintain it, not have the actual airflow heat/cool you. The only time I see a point in spec'ing 4 zone CC is when the car is being used to chauffeur, in which case it allows the rear passengers to control the CC settings, rather then asking the driver.

WRT American Oak, it definitely sets the Ivory/black combo off very well. I'm not usually fond off wood trims, I tend to prefer a more contemporary look. But even my GF warmed to the American Oak trim and she usually detests wood trims in cars. The advantage over Piano Black (which is what I'd normally go for, if I wasn't going CF/metallic) is that the patterns within the American Oak distract the eye from minor scratches (which you'll get on any gloss finish trim).

You will still get minor scratches, but the eye naturally focuses on changes in gradation/pattern on a reflective glossy surface. With Piano black there is nothing but scratches for the eye to focus on (at least on flat areas, where your likely to get most scratches anyway). On wood trims the natural pattern of the wood becomes a welcome distraction for the eye, rather then scratches.

Only issue is, I'm unsure how well wood trim would go with a vermillion red interior. While American Oak looks contemporary against a white or black interior, I'm not sure it would in a red interior. When trying to picture it, my mind wanders to Viennese cafe's with wood panelling and red leather clad sofas/chairs

I saw a lot of GCs during my search. Black Sapphire with Ivory/black/American Oak was Aesthetically the best combo I saw (to my eye at least). It's just the practicality of a white interior that gave me pause before pulling the trigger. Another consideration with vermillion red is that the ambient lighting would likely be drowned out as its a shade of soft orange (not ideal against red), so you may want to consider changing that after market if you go the red route.

Once again I would seriously consider speed limit display, in conjunction with the HUD I would always spec it now (without HUD it's less usefull IMO).

Last edited by Mentos; 01-20-2013 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0