United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Fitting the M-Performance Carbon Fibre shifter trim

Having looked for an install guide for the M-Performance shifter trim and failed, I thought I'd write up my experience.

First, the stock shifter

and the parts that come in the kit P/N 61 31 2 343 709

The part is the same for left and right hand drive and common to the F06, F12, F13 and F10.

The top plaque is a push fit and is also stuck on with double sided tape. I used a pair of plastic trim removal tools to pry it off. If you do it very carefully and slowly then you can re-use it, but a replacement is supplied so it's not the end of the world if you tear the tape or the glue comes off on the wrong part.

Removing the top gives access to a small Torx screw which is at the bottom of a plastic part containing diffusers for the LEDs

Once the Torx screw is removed the trim can be lifted off, it will probably come with the LED module and diffuser module. Gently remove the LED module from the back and the diffuser comes out of the front.

Place the LED module back on the shifter, it locates in a small lug at the bottom.

Put the new trim in place and re-insert the diffuser module, replace the Torx screw (a spare is supplied, no idea why really!) and stick the top plaque back on.

Job done, total time including faffing about and taking the photos, about 5 minutes.

It's a very good match with the rest of the trim as you'd expect. Even the angle of the weave is the same.

The material and finish of the stock part looks very similar to the gear knobs on the early E39 M5's, plastic with a silvered coating. Those gear knobs suffered from the silvering coming off, I suspect that the DCT shift knob would suffer the same problem although it's not used as much as the manual gear lever. Hopefully the Carbon Fibre trim should be much more durable as well as looking good.
Appreciate 0