View Single Post
      07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Yeah, I don't have the weights but they are supposedly "super light" for track/road. I will weigh them when they get here.

Actually, I am going 21x9.5 and 21x10.5. I have 21x9.5 and 21x11 on the F10 and really like it. I run 305 on the rear and will be doing the same on the 10.5. All the 10.5 does is give you options. Either the 10.5 or 11 will work well on the H&R drop but if for some crazy, far-reaching reason I decide to ever do coilovers I will be safer on the inside fender well with 10.5. I have the same ground patch contact as with the 11. As for the "outside" appearance, I will get the same stance due to the custom offsets. They will sit perfectly flush. Exact same look as if running 11".

Also-since they were inventory I didn't have a choice-lol! I sure did some research on the benefits though!

I never was a big fan of going up a size in diameter for performance reasons, but I did so on my last M5 and on my current one and have been very happy. The concavity and overall appearance I get from the 21" definitely outweighs the extremely negligible (frankly, unnoticeable to me) performance disadvantage. Again, a matter of personal preference I suppose. Weird that I would go that way since I am all about performance, as per our discussion here :-), but I spent so much time struggling with this decision on my first set that now I am just inclined to grab the larger ones without question. I sleep easier these days without thinking about wheels-lol!

Wheel dreams can cause nightmares and drooling bliss if one has done the right thing

I remember when I got 18's and that was the new 17.... then 19's came along and I thought "Dang 20's are too big". And now 20's are OEM on so many higher end models (cars). The forging process is so advanced that 21's can truly give you function still (form is a given). I recent weighed the rear of my 20x11.5 wheel with tire (305x30) on my 991 C4S and it weighed 59 lbs. We then weighed a 21 inch Vorsteiner forged wheel with the same width tires (305x25) and it was 55 lbs-- nice.

I ran 10.5 on the M5- perfect set up and as you stated; the offset gives you the stance and tire gives you the contact...You could run 11's and use a japanese tire if you wanted to be more safe. Their sidewalls are more round than the block that the PSS's carry. But the PSS is the best tire for the street hands down IMHO.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0