United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen55
I have an M6 Gran Coupe. OMG, I have the same problem. At first I thought I was getting pounded with small stones or sand from the cars in front of me. Soon discovered it was the exact same problem reported here! Of course the dealer said its the first time they've had a customer report this. They supposedly contacted bmw Corporate and (surprise) they had never heard of the problem either. Has anyone been able to solve this?
I, as well as many others with M5/M6, have experienced the issue and written about it on these and other forums many times, and for as much as it has been mentioned no one has reported any kind of permanent solution. Many believe that the issue is tied to the Active Sound Design inside the car (the thing that pumps fake engine noise into the cabin) which is why, despite being audio related, simply turning off all audio sources does not solve the problem as ASD is always on in one way or another. For me the problem occurs very rarely, maybe 1-2 times a month, and usually goes away as soon as I turn off the car for a prolonged period of time (say 30 mins to an hour). This makes the issue hard to diagnose by the dealer as it is completely random and the only way to get them to listen to the problem is by driving the car to them immediately when the issue crops up (without an appointment) and leaving the car on until someone can go and listen to it. I find it highly unlikely that Corporate has never heard of the issue as I and some others have reported it to the dealers many times and they have supposedly reported it back to BMW NA. One person even got his dealer to do a full swap of the cars audio system under warranty because of this issue, which I doubt would have gone on without BMW NA's knowledge and/or approval.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0