View Single Post
      06-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

All these new models in the 6-Series line up are really shaking up my idea of what the 6-Series stands for.

With the Bangle 6-Series, the car was mean looking and beautiful, and inspiring, and there was (and still is) nothing like it on the road. It was a sports/GT, coupe or convertible, with the flagship M6. Every time I used to see one, I would stare and admire it. Still do, even with the new 6er body style out and about, the previous gen still turns my head every time. It is that unique.

Fast forward to today, with the 6 GC out, and now a 6 GT "Gran Touring" on the way, it just feels like the 6er lineup is getting watered down. Don't get me wrong, the 6 GC is a work of art, as is the new 6er coupe and vert. Can't comment on looks for a 6 GT "Gran Touring" as I have yet to see it except for a few renders. But my gut tells me adding all these models waters down the 6-Series heritage.

I mean we had an 8-Series and it was the most badass BMW GT coupe of its time. People still talk about the 8-Series and, I think, will never stop. There was no 8-Series wagon, just the 8-Series Coupe GT car - V8 or V12; that was it.

With the previous generation, I thought of the 6-Series and M6 as being the closest modern BMW to the old 8-Series (except the one-off Z8 from early in this century). It's hard to continue looking at the 6-Series in that light when I know there is a wagon on the way.

I know the Europeans love their wagons, and I respect their utility and all that. I just was hoping we could keep the flagship BMW Coupe/Convertible lineup special and focused.

I guess I will have to wait for the i8 to come out to fulfill my dreams of a flagship BMW sports car, one that looks to the future and not the past.

BMW - Please don't make an i8 wagon...
Appreciate 0