View Single Post
      08-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Kirt121
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
When it comes to tires and spares, I guess we are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I ditched my RFT for high performance tires and intentionally do not carry a spare or can of fix a flat or repair kit.

A phone and AAA is all you need.
Sure, but what if you get a flat at night far from home? The two flats I've had were not reparable. I had to get a tow. Thankfully they were during the day and the BMW service center was open and I had them replaced within a few hours.

I asked the BMW roadside tow truck guy what's their policy during the night. He told me they'd tow the car to the dealership for service next day then they'd drive me to the nearest hotel. If you had a spare tire, you'd be back on the road within 10 minutes instead of calling your wife explaining why you'll be sleeping in a hotel that night instead of coming home.

Even during the day, the first flat tire took 5 hours of my time, from waiting for the tow truck to pulling out of the dealership with a new tire. The second time took 3.5 hours. Thankfully I didn't have any urgent plans during those days but what if you're getting late for a flight or a meeting?

All in all, IMO run-flats are an inferior alternative to an actual spare.
Appreciate 0