View Single Post
      03-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #56
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Uhh, then how do you explain that the M6GC is priced higher than the camparable AMG CLS63? I am a huge BMW fan. But this is nothing more than a money grab by BMW while they believe their product is in high demand.

I get your point about having a higher end car for the brand. I have no problem with that if they come out with a mind engine supercar to compete with the R8 and 911 Turbo and charge over $150k for it. But dressing up a 5 series platform and charge premium for it is not a good business practice in my opinion and does a disservice to the brand.
I really don't get why it is so hard to understand that 5 series and 6 series are completely different cars that target completely different audience.
5 series targets executives looking for a midsize daily driver.

On the other hand, 6 series is sibling to 7 series and has been since New Six in the 60s with BMW E3 and BMW E9.
640i and 650i are priced similar, basically the same as 740i and 750i.

5 series is on a shortened platform of 7 series, do people have a problem with 7 series being more expensive than 5 series? no.

I believe the problem comes from people thinking that 6 series is just a coupe version of 5 series like the 4 series is to 3 series.

Mercedes CL is on the same platform as Mercedes S class, similar concept we have with 6 series and 5 series, (even though 6 series is really sibling to 7 series.) CL is over $20,000 more expansive than S class.
I doubt CL owners don't understand why or bitch about having to pay $20k more than S class
Appreciate 0