View Single Post
      06-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #44
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
I'm with ///SAL. As an audio engineer I found the B&O option in our M6s disappointing. The only advantage over the stock sound system is slightly superior in-cabin sound distribution. However, the B&O, like the stock sound system, is decent at best when it comes to audio fidelity. Granted a car is a very difficult place to really recreate an audiophile grade listening experience because of the very nature of the environment. 1) cars are mobile, and imperfections on road surfaces will always introduce artifacts into the listening environment 2) cabins are small enclosed spaces not optimized for sonic quality 3) you're mostly in an off-center seating position in relation to the source, 4) there are space and weight restrictions in cars, etc. Creating an audiophile grade system for cars is an uphill battle for sure but, for as much as I love their consumer products, the B&O isn't even close to being top dog in this respect. This becomes even more apparent once you listen to the Burmester option in Porsches.
I think the B&O system in the BMWs is one of the best sounding stock systems I have ever heard. However, I agree with you, it is not an audiophile system.

I still would get it and after listening to the B&O in the Audi S6, I believe the BMW is far superior to that and is almost 1/2 the price of the Audi B&O!
Appreciate 0