05-30-2023, 07:14 AM   #12
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
I don't know for sure that this reduces the heat build up in the top center of the engine with the turbochargers, but I removed the plastic BMW engine (sound) cover to allow more air to circulate in that area. Seems to me that the cover just traps the hot air in that area.

Also, I use my Corvette for spirited driving so my use of the turbos in BMW is only when I need the power, not just for the fun of it. That also keeps the heat down and I'm sure that prolongs the life the rubber/plastic on top of the engine.
WWC careful doing this ….. that cover is there to stop intense heat soak to the bonnet , or hood for you yanks hahah, that could eventually damage the paint finish. I’ve asked a number of BMW people about this over the years and they all said leave it in place for this specific reason. The plastic clips break on mine all the time around the small coolant reservoir for the charge coolers and this drives me crazy. I get why you would do it but assume like me you don’t track your 650 so really it’s probably not that necessary.
Appreciate 0