09-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
I don't have a nice way to say this so I'll try to be professional. You are incorrect.

That's incorrect. The weight shift has to do with the momentum of the car changing. Momentum is a vector quantity and, therefore, a change in direction constitutes a change in momentum. The bottom of the car (wheels) are applying a force on the road which is changing the direction of the car when it goes around a corner and, therefore, changing the momentum of the car. The reason the car will experience a "weight shift" is because the inertia of the top of the car wants to keep going in the direction it was going before the wheels were turned to go around the corner. The weight of the top of the car and the distance (height of the car) from the bottom of the car will determine how much torque will be applied. Obviously a stiff suspension will be able to handle that kind of torque better and will exhibit flatter cornering. Now you can go around a corner, aka. change your momentum, by either understeering or oversteering in the corner. The direction change of the vehicle can come from either oversteer OR understeer. YOU CAN NOT TELL IF A VEHICLE IS UNDERSTEERING FROM LISTENING TO THE SOUND!!! I'd really like to make that clear.

You cannot tell from listening to the sound. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Thanks for the advice. Now, can you take your own advice?

EDIT: Another little thought... the weight shift will go in the same direction, regardless of understeer or oversteer. I hope you can figure out why that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Quit the personal attacks, or risk an infraction.
No attacks.
This video (start at 8:10) should explain all.
Thanks

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0