View Single Post
      10-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I dont mean to say some of these cars suck. I think all of the M cars are AWESOME but to say that we build these cars with the same philosophies as we've always had is just a bunch of horse shit.
I guess that depends on what's in the mind of the BMW engineers. I know a lot of people expect an M to be a race car, but I think BMW just tries to produce the best performing cars in their segment, with the M's at the high end. Right now I'd interpret that to be that the M5 and M6 are the luxury saloon and luxury GT, and the M3 to be the sports sedan and GT.

To some degree, all have sport and luxury DNA, just a bit of a difference in the priorities.

Quote:
With turbos (which is freaking old technology btw) you just lose a few things that an na engine does (which are important to me as a drivers car).

Ive asked m5/6/1m owners for their honest opinions and yes, they are all laggy. If you dont feel it, something is wrong because my girl who gives two rats asses about cars even complains about this.
Yes, there is some lag. Two points however:

1: The lag in BMW's FI engines is as small as it gets in the industry. Just because the tech is old doesn't mean someone can't make it better, and BMW is doing a fantastic job with it. Ferrari is going FI soon, will be interesting to see how they deal with lag.

2: In a track scenario, lag isn't that important so long as you keep the engine up in the power band. Other than a standing start, shouldn't happen again. You can also say that the DCT helps there.

Quote:
Im still hoping the new tech in the m3/4 setup can minimize this as much as possible but we still have yet to see anything in the real world.
I think you may be happy, BMW has tinkered with all the M's except the M3/4 with respect to 'new fangled tech'. They want it right as much as you do.

Quote:
Im not really a spec sheet nor an according to so and so this car is better at this than that car blah blah type of guy if that helps. In my experience lot of m5/6 guys think their cars are superior in every aspect to every other car in the lineup. That is why i say ok, your car is better. You didnt think i really meant it did you? Because again, i have yet to see one of these thrash anything out there with a car that in a magazine destroys everything.
Any car is as good as the owner thinks, that's all that really matters.

Quote:
You guys are all crazy.

There isnt even a track section on the m5/6post because no one would use it. I mean even f30post has one
I have track cars, I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
I will now leave before i get banned from bimmerpost altogether. Thank you.
No harm no foul, we're just talking.
Appreciate 0