01-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC26 View Post
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new daily driver and I'm having a tough time deciding between a new M6, M5, or the Jaguar F Type R. I currently daily drive a 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, and I love the car, it's the only BMW I've ever owned. I've got other fun "weekend" cars so to me the bottom line speed isn't a big deal. I'd be curious to see how the M6 has held up so far when daily driven, I know the M5 is the typical choice for that but I really prefer the 2 door M6, just because its so damn gorgeous! If anyone has a few miles on their M6 and can share a little insight it would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, if I posted this in the wrong section my bad! Feel free to move it. Thanks so much!
I would recommend careful consideration. I have a 2013 F13 BSM took delivery 01 Sep 2012 now with 22K miles on it. This is my daily driver to include winter with snow tire pkg. I live in Pittsburgh. This is the most expensive car I ever owned (MSRP $123K), my dream car and fourth BMW. Previously, E36 M3, E60 550i sport pack and E60 550i M Sport pack. In other words, I had to work my way up to this car.

It has been in service for 5 weeks to address an extremely annoying and prominent creaking from the driver's door and vibration in passenger door. Problems persist. The car came with a "snap, crackle and pop" sound like sand or gravel hitting the windshield on intermittent basis I reported on back in Sep 2012 (see thread) also unresolved. Two dealers unable to fix. This car has missed 3 scheduled autocrosses, 2 HPDEs and numerous CCA events because it was in service awaiting parts from Germany. There have been numerous other and sundry issues.

This is a "BIG" vehicle. It is very difficult to judge the corners. This has resulted in numerous wheels repairs from hitting curves. It has been in a body shop 5 times from people running into it while checking it out on the road, texting and talking on cell phone and the occasional tardate who enjoys cutting people with expensive cars off with his beater. Someone went out of their way to plow into it while it was parked carefully in a parking lot. That was $6K. The headlight assembly alone was $2500.

I do not recommend driving this vehicle without at least MDM on unless you have training in driving. This vehicle will get away from you. Driving this manually with the DCT is considerably different than the auto setting. The auto setting seems to have a hidden "stupid gear" in which it simply takes off like a raped rape. If you are not ready for it, you will be joining the driver in front of you in their seat.

You need to be nice to people at the gas station. They will come over to ogle it. I had a teenager photograph it unbeknownst to me and he posted it on twitter and started a "Where's Waldo" game in which people would take pictures of it to prove a "sighting" all over the city. It is a very striking vehicle and creates different emotional reactions in different people. Some not very friendly.

BMW customer service has not been helpful providing consideration for the vehicle being out of commission for months now. In deference to them, these issues are not considered catastrophic. Mine was the first shipment of these so it would understandably have some problems. I just wish it did not have so many. Most of the issues are the same as other owners have posted. Some resolved, some not.

Suggest reading forums as you are, talking to dealer to include an M designated dealer's service person knowledgeable with its quirks. Read all published tech bulletins and updates. Then make sure you seriously test drive one before you buy it. I was not able to do it because none were available. Go to the M school. You can really tear one up along with an M3 and M5.

Someone asked me then what I would buy given what is out there. Another F12/F13 M6 vert/coupe. Given all of the EPA, CAFE and other regulations auto companies are now dealing with, I do not think you can get another vehicle that gives you what the M6 does for the money. By the way, I love my Beast! Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stonehands
Appreciate 0