View Single Post
      07-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Merc1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
You said the reviews said the wheels had issues.
The stuff you copied has more to do with the tires.
I test drove a 650i and it had run flat tires. I was told they are standard for the car. Runflats are much harder than non-runflats and provide a very hard ride. That's why i would ditch them for a set of Michelin PS2 or Supersports the minute I got the car.
I've been driving on 30-35 profile tires for many years with no complaints. If you want it even smoother, use an all-season tire and it will ride like butter.
Nothing wrong with bigger wheels. You just have to choose the right tires for your needs. A daily, go with all-seasons. An occasional driver, go with high performance. A weekend go cart, go with ultra-high performance summer tires. Car will ride hard but handle like a track star.

You missed the point by a mile. The issue is a larger wheel, thin tire and a suspension all working together to produce the problem they're talking about. Its the entire setup. You're trying to isolate it down to just one thing and that isn't what I or the reviewers said. Don't matter if it is the tire of the wheel really, its the setup BMW uses. The wheels are seemingly too heavy for the suspension to adequately control them during the rough stuff. A 100K car shouldn't crash over bumps and make such loud noises if they're saying its competitors don't and regular economy car don't either.

Like I said before it isn't a deal breaker for me since the roads here are ok and I'm a careful driver.

M
Appreciate 0