southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT View Post
When I first saw the Jaguar in the showroom, I was bowled over by its beauty and let my heart rule my head, fully expecting it to under deliver, be unreliable etc - but quite the opposite. It purred along beautifully for 45,000 miles and never missed a beat. It was fast, quick, quiet and smooth. Drive position was exceptional and I've never sat in such a comfortable car. It came loaded as standard with all the extras you could wish for in the real world and I loved every minute I used to spend in it.

The BM I find rather clinical and unemotional. It's pretty enough, but not as pretty as the Jaguar. I find it a bit big inside and can't quite get as comfortable as I did in the Jag. Performance is great (but it's no V8) economy good etc. I've read a few reviews that find the BM hard to fault, but say it's not a car to fall in love with. I have to agree. I feel a bit disingenuous saying this, especially as everyone else seems to be totally besotted by the 6, but I guess that's why we're all here.

Happy to discuss further..
Interesting that you mentioned the reliability as being a non-issue. I hope that this becomes the new trend for Jags as I would like to own one in the future - until I can bring myself to buy a Virage

I understand what you mean about the Jag having more character than the BMW. I think the 6er helps break that "BMW mold" with the sculpted, contrast stitched and Nappa-covered dash, but I still understand that feeling. I'm a major nerd, and I kinda like the clinical, OCD special that is the BMW 6er. I can't remember who wrote this specific review, but one person compared the driver of an XKR to the F12/13 driver, and they essenially said:

- The XKR driver is the British gentleman (very Bond-like) you'd expect to emerge from the car wearing a tuxedo and holding a bouquet of flowers in front of a chateau.

- The 650i driver will emerge wearing a white lab coat holding a cage filled with rats that were used as test animals for a number of G-force experiments.

These two stereotypes may be a bit extreme, but I think they're pretty accurate. As much as I would like to be the XKR driver, I am a scientist and nerd through and through - and proud of it . The 6er just seemed to make more sense to me.

Question, RDT: Have you driven the 650i to see how it compares with the 640d? I'm just curious for a side-by-side comparison of the two. I completely understand why y'all go for the diesels in the UK given the prices y'all pay for petrol.

I appreciate your opinion about the Jag as hearing a different opinion around here is a welcome change. I'm glad that almost everyone agrees with me on the brilliance of the 6er, but I really appreciate hearing what others (with far more experience with cars, brands, etc. than I have) have to say. We have a great gentleman's club going on this forum with a group of respectful, intelligent men (and women? I don't mean to be sexist ), so I am alway eager to learn what all of you have to say.

Last edited by southern6er22; 06-15-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0