12-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #31
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapatty View Post
Hi, I have a minor but irritating defect on my 2013 640d GC in that the metal cosmetic ring at the base of the idrive controller "button" has split so that the top of the metal has separated from the "wall", strange and surprising low quality in the materials used as I thought this ring was a solid single piece. It is just of the left hand side and not in any way interefing with functionality but annoying and visible.
My question is as to whether I can buy a replacement controller and easily switch the metallic ring? Would I have to dismantle and remove the whole idrive controller to be able to swap out the metal ring?
Many thanks if anyone able to help.
A picture is worth a thousand words. I can't tell if the broken part is at the base of the "KNOB" or the part that is actually located in the base (lower) section of the controller. Plus there's two types...a low controller and a high controller:

{low controller}

{high controller}

If its the knob...I would bet that the knob can probably be removed just like other knobs around the vehicle. You can see in the pic below from the part database how they come (the controllers with ceramic appliqué have a different part number).

You can also look up the BMW 11 digit part number for the type of controller you have...then type "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" (where x=the actual BMW part number) into a google or internet search engine of your choosing to find venders/sellers of the appropriate controller.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-28-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0