04-07-2024, 06:48 PM   #1
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Engine and Engine Bay Heat Management?

Hello Everyone,
I asked a similar question in a specific thread a while back but here it goes again.

Has anyone taken any steps to lower their engine and engine bay temperatures? It's well known that the N63 engine generates a lot of heat and I'm trying to mitigate that with our 2018 650i which has the N63tu.

Anyhow, I will be getting a lower t-stat installed at some point, probably 100c. I know that's not a lot but it should be beneficial over the life of our 650i given it's a daily driver. I'd prefer to go with a 90c or 95c t-stat but I've read where people started getting fault codes with those low t-stats?

Beyond that, I'm contemplating installing a few 3-4in electric fans to introduce cool air into the engine compartment. These will be used to cool the engine compartment down after having driven it. I know the cars fan runs for a few minutes after shutting the vehicle down but it's effect is minimal. Can that be programmed to run longer? The problem is, the compartment is so cramped there is no easy placement for the fans no matter how small. Installing them on the outside of the radiator would seem the best location? Otherwise, it might be possible to install those over the fender wells to draw in fresh air or to disperse hot air (if reversed). It's also possible to blow air directly into the cavity of the hood itself which would then blow directly onto the top of the motor via existing holes. I'm not sure how effective blowing air on the top of the motor would be though?

Your input is appreciated,
Ralph
Appreciate 0