View Single Post
      03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil335 View Post
Now I understand what you were saying. There really doesn't need to be a coupe variant to compare the cars. Both the CLS and 6GC are similar price, size and have a special top tier model. Both cars could technically be put up against each other in a comparison.
You're right, the cars can absolutely be compared since they are in the same segment. But check the prices - a 6 is much more expensuve than a CLS for equivalent models. Remember, Mercedes has no 6 cylinder model in the US. If they then did it would greatly undecut the 640i (closer to an A7 in price). My point is that Mercedes cannot charge what BMW can because they don't have an established market precedent. BMW has the 6 coupe which sells quite well so they already know what the car is worth to their buying audience - it has been proven. The Gran Coupe is the same car with greater utility for what is a very slight premium really. If Mercedes could command the same price, they would - it's not generosity that drives their business model. And that goes for their E coupe vs. the 6 coupe as well. Perhaps if the CLS were based on the CL then we'd see Mercedes potential for a car like this and the price conversation would not be such a big topic. But then perhaps that would be seen as a different segment - an 8 Gran Coupe equivalent.

For some people, when we think about the Gran Coupe models without those rear doors, the price some how doesn't get a second look. Funny, huh? Well, if you consider that for some folks, putting those doors there is a godsend, you can see why they might lineup to get the 6 coupe they've always wanted but could not justify due to the lack of utility.
Appreciate 0