Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858 View Post
- Do you apply anything to the film such that it repels water and keeps its 'slickness'?
As already said, don't use anything with petroleum distillate, it will discolour the film. I use a liquid spray on wax (SwissVax Nano Express) to keep the film feeling slick. You can use a high quality wax, but you must be EXTREMELY careful to keep clear of the edges of the film. If you get wax on the edges it makes them very visible and tends to get under the film and causes the edges to lift. I apply a hard wax every 6 months or so, but mask off all the edges before applying.
Quote:
- If any dirt/ bug remains are left on the film did you notice any imperfections (spots) in the film once the remains are removed?
No I've not. But if a big bug or bird shit was left on for a while it would probably leave a temporary mark. Marks like this are supposed to self heal, waxing will help.
Quote:
- Do dirt and bugs come off easily?
Yes, very easily. However the film is prone to be statically charged which I find attracts fine dust.
Quote:
- What do you use to remove them? Just water?
Yes.
Quote:
- Do you have any pictures/videos of your car you can share?
I've done nearly 14,000 miles so far but the car looks like new. I've had a couple of 'incidents' with the film, see later, but here are some pictures that show some of the edges

Name:  DSC_4611a.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  131.8 KB

The top surface of the mirror is not covered, you can feel rather than see the line where the film ends

Name:  DSC_4612a.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  DSC_4641a.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  101.0 KB

The front and rear bumpers are complex shapes to wrap, you can see a very small amount of lifting in the bottom left of this picture. The film can be peeled back, the glue 'washed' and then stuck back down.
Name:  DSC_4646a.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  109.3 KB

The headlight film is invisible, but again you can feel the edge of the film which is significantly thicker than the film on the paint.
Name:  DSC_4638a.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  172.8 KB

The area directly under the handles is not covered, so there are a couple of edges in the recess.
Name:  DSC_4682a.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  87.9 KB

I picked up a significant 'chip' on the bonnet over the winter, looks pretty bad close up
Name:  DSC_4932a.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  83.2 KB

And was quite noticeable even from a little distance away.
Name:  DSC_4933a.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  92.3 KB

The film was replaced and there is no sign of the mark. The paint was totally undamaged under the mark in the film. For me, that made it worth while wrapping the car, a chip that size (probably even bigger without the film) would drive me nuts!
Name:  DSC_4970a.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  143.1 KB

In June I got a big hit on the left side A pillar, it left 3 dents in the A pillar, but no mark in the film.
Name:  DSC_5017b.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  84.5 KB

I peeled back the film and the dents were pulled out
Name:  DSC_5021b.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  95.6 KB

The film re-applied and it's as good as new, you just can't tell.
Name:  DSC_5026b.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  95.9 KB

Quote:
- How come you did not choose suntek?
Not sure if it's available in the UK, the company I was recommended, PaintShield, uses XPel Ultimate.
Quote:
- How long did it take to install? (I was told 2 x days by a vendor in Boca Raton, FL - http://www.autosupershield.com/)
They had the car for just over a week, normally it would not take so long, but they had to create the template for each piece from my car.
Appreciate 0