United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M8 Competition

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [10.00]
PPF questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
I'd guess that the cost of the film for the front would be similar to the cost of a front end respray. Don't underestimate the cost of the bonnet, it's huge!

But :

- Without the film you'll get stone chips from day 1, you'll have to live with them until you get the respray.
- The film is guaranteed for 4 years against penetration. For me, I need a front end respray every 30,000 miles which is about 2 years. So the film becomes cheaper as soon as you've had the front end done.
- With modern water based paints, the quality of a respray is never the same as the factory paint. Even if it's perfect to start with, it's softer and will scratch and chip even more then the original paint.
- As the film is self healing for minor scratches, keeping the car looking good is a doddle, you don't need to worry about grit in your wash mitt scratching the paint or that bird shit will eat into the lacquer.

The down sides are that the edges of film are visible, they can catch the light, and there is a very, very slight texture to the surface of the film (it's no where near as bad as some BMW factory paint orange peel that I've seen).

I'd recommend a trip to paint shield in Peterborough, won't cost you anything except a bit of time and petrol, then you can make an informed decision.
I am going to fully wrap my Black Sapphire Metallic 2016 M6 F13 (once ordered and delivered) in XPel Ultimate PPF. Here are some questions:

- Do you apply anything to the film such that it repels water and keeps its 'slickness'?
- If any dirt/ bug remains are left on the film did you notice any imperfections (spots) in the film once the remains are removed?
- Do dirt and bugs come off easily?
- What do you use to remove them? Just water?
- Do you have any pictures/videos of your car you can share?
- How come you did not choose suntek?
- How long did it take to install? (I was told 2 x days by a vendor in Boca Raton, FL - http://www.autosupershield.com/)

Appreciate your feedback!
Appreciate 0