View Single Post
      10-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post

The DCT transmission will take some getting used to, even just pulling into the garage feels very alien at the moment, reminds me of parking in a garage when I first learnt to drive. It has 'Low Speed Assist' which causes the car to crawl forwards after you touch the accelerator, but stops when you hit the brake so it's not like a regular automatic that always crawls unless you keep your foot on the brake. This actually makes moving forwards a very small amount quite hard! You touch the accelerator, but the car is moving a bit too quickly if you are 2 feet from the garage wall, but touch the brake and it stops. No doubt there is a way to just inch forwards, it'll just take some getting used to.
I never found a way to get my DCT equipped M6 coupe to inch forward in a way I'm comfortable with in the garage. One side of my garage is a lot shorter than the other. I usually park the M6 on the long side where there is plenty of room. I had to park it on the short side once and I ended up just getting the car about 3 feet from the wall then putting it in neutral and hopping out to turn one of the wheels to back the car up about 6 inches from the wall. I have no issues backing a manual car up that close because of the control I have with the clutch. The DCT's low speed assist still moves the car too quickly when you're only trying to go a few inches.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0