02-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #118
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salottox5m View Post
here's 2014 and 2015 Auction average's

I looked up using a friends account -- so I'm only posting these auction results once -- for information purpose's only to see what dealers are paying on used/ trade-in's etc

I'm still considering an M6 GC myself

thanks for this! This confirms my pricing strategy as developed by P1et .

The rule of thumb is, if you buy from a dealer, you will have a:

1. EXCELLENT DEAL: if you pay $2,000 or less over a comparable auctioned car (or the auction average car)

2. GOOD DEAL: if you pay $2,000-$4,000 over

3. RETAIL DEAL: if you pay $4,000-$8000 over (this is the "no-haggle" "walk up" "listing price")

4. BENT OVER, PULLED PANTS DOWN, GRABBED YOUR ANKLES & BEEN SAVAGELY ABUSED: if you pay over $8000

Note: "comparable" means similar region (west coast, east coast, etc), miles, options, conditions.

Needless to say, no 2 cars and experiences are exactly the same. These aren't fungible items or like the stock market. Dealers also have to account for other overhead cost and sometimes have been sitting on inventory too long and have to make a number. Demand and irrational buyers can also bid the pricing up and certain cars have unique features that can fetch top dollar.

You can also use the auction numbers to gauge if a dealer is killing you on a trade. Generally, a good trade would be less than $1000 from auction pricing. Meaning the dealer is just trying to breakeven on the trade.