View Single Post
      05-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_135i View Post
Today I got the monthly production bulletin from BMW. Usually nothing very exciting in there. I was scrolling down and found the production timeline for the new 6 series and X3 though.

MY 2011:
December 2010 - X3 xDr28i
December 2010 - X3 xDr35i
The X3 35i is not a big surprise, but I am a bit surpised to see they chose 28i designation for the N52 powered X3 rather than the 30i designation as found on the Z4. It leaves open the possibility that they will use the ~240hp N52 instead of ~260hp version. I realize, though, that the X1 has the higher output version even though it is called "28i", so nothing is certain yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
I'm a big supporter of advancements in turbo technology, especially with the I6, but will there be ANY NA BMWs left?
Not for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
yes 128i coupe and conv
328i/xi sedan wagon coupe and conv
528i/xi sedan
X5 xdrive 30i
X3 xdrive 28i
Z4 s drive 30i

Plenty left
True enough ALPINE, but as your list reveals, only the N52 is left (in the North America, anyway) for non-M vehicles. However, we all know that the turbo 4-banger is coming next year (highly rumored to go to the X1 first) and with a predicted output in the mid-200hp range, the writing is on the wall for the N52. In addition, the S65 will be the only NA M engine left after the M6 is gone. I am actually somewhat curious to see how fast the new turbo-4 replaces the N52 throughout the lineup. If BMW is aggressive about it, an S65 powered E92 or E93 (E90 will be gone) M3 could be the final naturally aspirated BMW off the assembly line for the forseeable future, well at least for North American production anyway. It also depends of course on the timing of the F2x 1 series (since they almost surely won't bother with the turbo 4 for the soon-to-be-replaces E8x 1 series).

Either way though the end of an era is upon us. Farewell to the naturally aspirated BMW.
Appreciate 0