View Single Post
      03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Bedding in is not a procedure many vehicles need, but the M5/6 is a big heavy car, and is fitted with a very powerful braking system, both in physical size, and I suspect disc and pad material.
This makes them very vulnerable to glazing, as in normal street driving you are using probably less than 10% of their potential.

As an aside, soft braking, cleaning off the friction material from the disc and glazing the pads is one common problem with street cars, the other is braking hard and keeping the pads in contact with the hot disc. This second problem can in extreme cases warp the rotor locally as the pad stops the disc cooling evenly, or can deposit a pad imprint on the disc locally, which gives the sensation of a warped disc under braking (brake pedal judder). This deposit can often be eliminated by by the bedding in procedure.

I would recommend trying the technique in the video....no harm in trying.

If you are nervous about the smoking brakes like in the video, IMO you don't have to do carry out quite so many repetitions as suggested. I normally do abut 4-5 hard stops from 60-70. Most importantly, DO NOT COME TO A STANDSTILL

Repeat this excercise whenever you feel the brakes lose some bite, or every couple of months and you are good to go.
Sounds like good advice. Its technically sound. I have tried a less aggressive version already and the squeal is gone. I feel more comfortable proceeding with a full procedure. Thank you for the help!
Appreciate 0