Drives: X3M

Post BMW F12 650i Dominates Jaguar XK and Maserati Gran Cabrio

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW F12 650i Dominates Jaguar XK and Maserati Gran Cabrio
COMMENTS
Name:  AMS_F12_c_1.jpg
Views: 12008
Size:  121.9 KB

BMW's new 6-series convertible (F12) just hit the streets which means review comparison time. In their latest issue AMS pits the BMW 650i Convertible against two of its natural enemies - the Jaguar XK Convertible and the Maserati Gran Cabrio.

We're happy to share that the F12 650i was able to finish this comparison on 1st place with 498 Points in total. Per AMS, "anything but a victory would have been a suprise. The new 6er Cabrio wins almost every category and shines both in comfort and driving dynamics. It doesn't evoke strong emotions, but nevertheless does everything extremely well.

Second place and 454 points for the Jaguar XK Convertible. The AMS verdict: "Comparatively low costs, ride comfort, and the excellent V8 are the strongest points of the Jaguar. A not-so-spacy interior and the ambiguous ESP and steering setup frustrate a better result. .

Somewhat surprising, the Maserati Gran Cabrio finished third and last, getting only 418 points. Appears that the Maser won the heart of the testers, but the price to pay was to high - figuratively: "The Maserati won our hearts. The Gran Cabrio and its infamous V8 engine sound and the stunning design trump the others in terms of emotions. However, Maserati lacks meticulousness. They strongly need to work on torsional rigidity, fit and finish and the choice of materials.

According to AMS, the biggest downside to the new 6-series convertible is its weight. As they put it, "the seek for comfort somewhat made BMW lose sight of weight." No suprise considering the hefty 4442 lbs of the test car (Maserati: 4365lbs - Jaguar: 3739lbs). Despite its weight, the 650i Convertible was the quickest, yet also the most fuel efficient car (0-62mph in 5 seconds flat - average consumption of 10.7 l or 22mpg). In terms of agility, the Gran Cabrio was the top performer of the lot.

Visit Auto Motor Sport for the full review in German, all performance specs, and more photos.

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0