View Single Post
      08-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Everything I've read about the 6er says the 650i is the only option for the 6MT (i.e. not the 650xi or 640i). I suppose there could be a hidden method to get this, but I think a "misprint" is more likely. BMW is notorious for showing false info that may be inconsistent with the pictures. There are/were apparently other glitches with the BYO site that prevented the combination of some options that are allowed according to the actual build sheets. The MyBMW site also tends to be slow to update and show incorrect info - like mine showed that my car was being built with B&O despite it not being on the official build sheet. Unfortunately, the B&O wasn't a free gift with purchase as my car arrived with the Premium, as per the build sheet.

I could be wrong, but I think it is just a glitch with the system. In general, BMW is getting away from the manual transmissions (i.e. 6MT only for US market on the 2012 650i and M5, reports that after the F10 M5 the only ///M car to get the 6MT will be the M3 - and new 1M/M2 that is rumored). Everything I've read pretty much says that in most cars, particularly the lower volume vehicles like the 6er, the 6MT doesn't sell well enough to make it worth the money required to develop it. The new 8AT is so good that it is contributing to the decrease in 6MT sales.
Appreciate 0