02-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
So....Ive been searching high and low for the perfect e93. I have a 02 330cic that I drive in the summer. I am going to sell it, and my daily driver and get 1 car. I was going to get the 335. Im concerned about the turbos though but I have a good deal on an 08 with 35k miles. In the mean time I came across some 650s. The thing is, simialr year and mileage is only a few thousand more. So, I may do an 06/07 6 series convertible instead. What are your thouhts comparing the 2 cars? My only experiece is my friends 2013 m6 convertible which isnt a fair comparison but a pretty sweet car. How reliable is the v8 vs the turbo 6, and overall when comparing the 2 what are pros/cons? Thanks guys!
I would look towards an '09 e93 335i personally. The '09 features the new CIC iDrive unit that is massively improved. You can also upgrade your unit with a combox so you can stream live music, etc.etc.

My e93 m3 was a '08 and the CCC nav is absolutely horrible. You will still have the twin turbo n54 motor, as opposed to the newer single twinscroll n55, but the UI update is a massive improvement.

I did have some wastegate rattle issues and eventual oil seal failure on the journal bearings of one of my turbos, but I was running FBO putting down around 400rwhp.

I would not be overly concerned with the turbo's or HPFP failures. The HPFP will be replaced free of charge should anything occure with a 10yrs/100k warranty and it likely already been replaced once.

They are pretty reliable cars, those two issues aside, I loved my e93 m3, and while you wont have the same glorious exhaust/engine note, performance will be very close.

I personally think the old 6 series look tired, while the 3's still look fairly fresh.

BTW. I've had a e46 M3 vert, e92 335i (n54), e93 M3, and now a F06 GranCoupe 640i (n55).
Appreciate 0