02-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
If you're talking about the sport/comfort rocker switch, that is there regardless of the car having any of the Adaptive suspension components (atleast on the current BMW range).

By default it switches the throttle/gearbox mapping/steering (unless its hydrolic) settings to a more aggressive/softer mode. IE put it in sport and throttle is sharper, gearbox holds gears longer, steering tightens up. It may also effect the engine, as it tends to rev higher and economy drops, but this could just be down to the gearbox holding the lower gear longer. In sport+ it will also retard the DSC.

I believe on the new LCD instrument cluster it will also change its appearance (colour and display information which is more relevant in that setting more prominently. For example in ECO it may display current fuel economy etc more prominently).

If you have adaptive suspension components the rocker will also control these. Tightening things up in sport, making it softer in comfort. However, remember the suspension is adaptive, so it doesn't make it rock hard all the time. It just changes the transition points. So for example if you're tootling along in sport it will still give you a pliant ride. But head into a corner and things will tighten up much sooner. Whereas in comfort it won't leave you with a barge through the whole corner, it will still tighten the suspension settings at some point, just a lot later then in sport mode. I hope i haven't confused you. To give you an analogy its the difference between an easy going woman and one with a temper. Both will bite your head off if you push hard enough, just one will be more eager to switch

Also in each mode you can adjust what changes. So in sport you can leave the suspension in comfort.
Hello mentos. thanks for the response and clarification. And, quite a good analogy too.
No you didn't confuse me at all.
I've owned BMWs for many years now, back to back, they just recently seem a bit un-BMW like with things like these options and their availability.
Much as I loved the e90/e92 M3 when I initially test drove them without EDC, I was sure to buy mine with EDC.
I love the dichotomy it creates, in the M3 it is quite apparent. Even in competition package, where its a dynamic mode vs. a static setting in non-competition, it just felt right all the time. And i'm one that sets it to be high strung when i feel like it, and enjoy it being for most others, harsh. It adds to the emotional part of driving a car like that. I even ask for upcoming versions of MDC-T to keep the relaxed modes, but add even more aggressive shift sequences that involve you to the max, even in a daily driver.

I love the idea of this car, but it will be the first car i consider to be my full time vehicle that is larger than a 3 series. I'm currently not in love with any of their offerings. Sure I love the M6, but it wouldn't suit my lifestyle. I have three little ones 6yo and under. M5 didn't make me swoon this time around. M6 GC i fell in love with at the Detroit auto show last month. Much as I love it, it won't suit my lifestyle at this time. I'm so busy with work/family.....etc that I'll never utilize it the way I'd like to, as an uber sporty grand tourer. With the additional premium for the M version, it would feel like a waste sitting around. But i love the GC enough to consider it my daily driver and I'm hoping that today's test drives aren't anticlimactic.

Again, pardon the rambling and getting off topic, and thank you to all those who are contributing to this thread.
Appreciate 0